Zihuatanejo or Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo is the fourth-largest city in the Mexican state of Guerrero, about 240 km (150 miles) northwest of Acapulco. A Pacific paradise of beautiful beaches, Zihuatanejo has evolved from a quaint fishing village to a yachting hot spot because of its laid-back vibe, stunning scenery with a back drop of rocky cliffs, sand & sea, and traditional historic charm. From enjoying its inexhaustible natural charm to extraordinary aquatic adventures, Zihuatanejo is a great charter destination for people seeking an adventurous vacation, outdoor recreation or pure relaxation.
The fishing town of Zihuatanejo stretches from the Bay of Zihuatanejo and inland toward the Sierra Madre del Sur mountains. Since the 1970s, this resort town has been developed in conjunction with nearby Isla Ixtapa. Zihuatanejo, which has been featured in the 1994 American drama film “The Shawshank Redemption,” boasts pristine white-sand beaches, picturesque placid bays, crystal clear waters to surf, dive & snorkel, friendly hospitality and even a taste of small-town Mexican life. The heart of Zihuatanejo is the waterfront walkway Paseo del Pescador (malecón), but the city has become a major attraction for its beaches.
Beautiful Beaches of Zihuatanejo
• La Playa Principal: Also known as La Playa Municipal or La Playa del Puerto, it is the beach in front of downtown Zihuatanejo which offers good fishing opportunities as well. At the other end of the beach is El Museo Arqueológico de la Costa Grande museum where you can learn about local pre-Columbian history and enjoy the surf.
• Playa Las Gatas: The best beach for swimming and for children in Zihuatanejo is Playa Las Gatas (Cats Beach), located across the bay from Playa La Ropa and Zihuatanejo. There is a small coral reef located offshore of the beach providing for great snorkeling and diving.
• Playa Larga: An unspoiled beach located halfway between the Zihuatanejo Airport and the town of Zihuatanejo. Measuring over 12 km, Playa Larga beach is a perfect place for enjoying horseback riding.
• Playa Contramar: Polished rocks lay along the beach and underwater creating a snorkel rich environment. The amazing coral and rock formations underwater are well worth seeing here.
• Playa La Madera: This small picturesque cove is good for bodysurfing. You can enjoy the sun and the waves here for a few hours before heading to Playa La Ropa.
• Playa La Ropa: Also called Clothes Beach, the largest and most beautiful beach of Zihuatanejo is Playa La Ropa, which is about a mile long with unusually mild waves, making it perfect for swimmers, parasailers and waterskiing enthusiasts. Lined with palm groves along the shoreline, this beach offers a great view of the sunset.
One of the most popular charter excursions in Zihuatanejo is a visit to the beach city – Ixtapa – which is located 5 km to the northwest of Zihuatanejo, and some 245 km northwest of Acapulco. Some parts of the movie “Hot Pursuit” was filmed in and around Ixtapa. Some of the popular beaches of Ixtapa include Playa El Palmar, Playa Varadero,Playa Coral and Playa Cuachalalata to name a few.
Things to do in Ixtapa-Zihuatanejo
• Fishing: Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo offer year-round fishing opportunities, both offshore and inshore. Anglers may catch blue and black marlin, dorado (mahi-mahi), yellow-knife tuna, feisty grouper, chula, wahoo, barracuda, bonito and Spanish mackerel.
• Swimming, scuba diving and snorkeling: Ixtapa and Zihuatanejo are home to several snorkeling and scuba dive sites for people who enjoy getting up close and personal with marine life. You can swim with dolphins in Ixtapa’s aquarium Delfiniti or dive in the colorful coral reef sites of Zihuatanejo.
• Others: You can admire the glorious sunset along the shoreline of Zihuatanejo, play golf in Ixtapa's two renowned golf courses and enjoy horseback riding in Playa Larga.
Zihuatanejo and Ixtapa both are an excellent place for your next extended charter excursion in Acapulco. So, whether you're planning a fun-packed adventurous vacation for the entire family or a relaxing excursion for the two of you, we offer a variety of private luxury yacht charter vacation packages for Zihuatanejo to meet your individual yachting needs. Contact us via email by clicking here, and we will customize your charter itinerary to meet all of your specific requirements.